You should avoid cheap paint for interior or exterior home painting in Vacaville, CA. The adage of “you get what you pay for” applies to paint as it does to any other product. High quality paint offers advantages that you may not enjoy if you decide to cut corners. Here are the attributes of good paint that make it worth the expense:
- Pigment quality: There are two types of pigment. Prime provides the color and hide (the surface color). It is the best quality of pigment that offers bold and bright colors that last a long time. Extender pigments are low quality and will fade or peel in the future. Prime pigments are also easy to apply, making these higher quality paints easier to handle.
- Binders: The binders help paint adhere to a surface. Type, amount and quality affect fade resistance, adhesion and resistance to cracks. Your binders are especially important in outdoor painting, since the elements will beat the surface mercilessly and demand more durability from your paint. That is why latex paints are used more frequently for exterior projects.
- Solids to liquids ration: Liquids are the ingredients in paint that have no performance benefits. You can think of them as simply filler. Good quality paints contain more pigments and binders than liquids. This is represented as a ratio, and you want to go for the higher ones if you want good quality.
- Additives: There are paints on the market that provide additional benefits. They do this through additives. Common additives include mildewcides that repel mold and mildew, dispersing agents to support the smooth application of pigment and preservatives so the paint does not spoil. Many of these are merely extra expenses that may not be relevant to you. However, if you would like extra paint available for home repairs and other projects, you may appreciate additives, especially the preservatives.
- Service year: While you will pay more for higher quality paint, you will make up for it with longevity. You can pay $20 per gallon and expect to repaint your home or room within six years. Another option is to pay $35 per gallon, but get bright colors and no cracking or peeling for 25 years. The cost per year for the first, less expensive option would be $39 in paint expenses. However, due to the long lifespan of the higher quality product, your annual cost with that will be $28. This is especially true if you hire out the painting job and fund labor costs, too.
It is often tempting for customers to compromise on a color and pick the less expensive option just so they can pay less up front. That often seems the best way to save money, but it is cutting corners. Paint with good pigment, needed additives and a good solids to liquids ration offers benefits that you cannot secure with cheaper alternatives. Review these thoroughly, because you may be surprised by which elements matter to you.
For thorough and reliable home painting in Vacaville, CA, call Pro-Tech Painting & Decorating, LLC today.